Thursday, May 31, 2012

Favorite Post

Looking back through all my blogs this quarter, I think my favorite post was the first one I did this quarter, called "The Impact of Trayvon Martin."  I did this blog over spring break when I was really just trying to relax and enjoy my time, but I was really intrigued by this Trayvon Martin story and took my time putting out a blog about it.

I think this blog is a great one because it is very well organized: I introduced the topic in an interesting way, provided historical facts and other's reactions to them, and then looked critically at what happened and how people reacted.

One thing in this blog I think I could've analyzed more was the picture.  I simply just put it there since that picture was used in a lot of articles I read and used it to just show people what George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin looked like.  Looking at this picture again, it is obvious I could've analyzed more, as this picture clearly tries to make people feel bad for Trayvon.  They used a picture of Trayvon when he was a few years younger and innocently smiling as if this was a school yearbook photo.  For Zimmerman however, there is a mug shot with him glaring at the camera, looking like a very unfriendly man.  I think just by looking at this picture people subconsciously take Trayvon's side, and it could be a big reason he had so many supporters in this case because this picture was so commonly chosen to be in news articles.

I still think though that this blog was very powerful because I start with a specific example of a case that happened and then broaden my lens to look at America as a whole.  So, while I believe so many of my blogs are worthy of being read, I would highly recommend you read "The Impact of Trayvon Martin."

1 comment:

  1. Ross, This is a thoughtful reflection and your Trayvon post is terrific -- full of pix and links and MORE: analysis of the texts you cite.

    Great job here and throughout the term.

    ReplyDelete