Friday, November 25, 2011

Black Friday Madness

The friday after Thanksgiving is known as Black Friday because it is the day that all the stores that were in the red, meaning losing money, make money and go into the black.  On this day, stores across the nation open at midnight with great discounts and there are packs of people who wait to enter.

An hour before midnight last night, I went to Best Buy with my family to buy a new TV and was completely caught off guard by the amount of people there were.  I wouldn't be so surprised if this were a major city, but I was in the middle of nowhere in Michigan.  I didn't even know that many people even lived there.  I thought it was crazy that my family wanted to go an hour early, but there was a line around the block and people who had been waiting all day to go in.
This is just an average midnight crowd on Black Friday.

Fortunately, where I was, people were nice and well-behaved for the most part, but this was not the case everywhere else.  In Los Angeles, a woman pepper sprayed other customers to get a video game console.

I don't understand why anybody would ever harm others and risk getting in huge trouble for a $40 discount on a gaming system, but it still happens.  She wasn't the only incident.   The article above also mentions a shooting that took place in a Walmart parking lot last night in California.

The reason for this madness and chaos is simply because Americans care way too much about money and price.  As a society, everyone strives to have as much money as possible even if that means hurting others.

In our nation, we are all greedy and are all competing with each other to get the best things, which leads to a lot of unnecessary violence over things like a discount.

No comments:

Post a Comment